Casten Votes for the ‘Moving Forward Act’ to Improve America’s Infrastructure
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Representative Sean Casten (IL-06) voted for H.R.2 the Moving Forward Act, legislation investing more than $1.5 trillion to rebuild America’s infrastructure while creating millions of good-paying jobs, combatting the climate crisis, and addressing disparities throughout America. The package also includes a Casten-led bill, the Promoting Grid Storage Act, legislation to combat the climate crisis by boosting research and development of cutting-edge technologies to increase energy storage capabilities for America’s electric grid and enable the expanded use of clean energy.
Casten said, “improving our infrastructure should be a priority no matter if you’re a Republican or Democrat. Investing in roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, spurring job creation, and incentivizing investments in renewable energy sources that boost our economy and help fight climate change will benefit millions of Americans across the country. I’m proud to vote for this comprehensive package and am pleased it prioritizes my legislation, the Promoting Grid Storage Act, to transform our electric grid and modernize energy infrastructure.”
H.R. 2 the Moving Forward Act:
- Rebuilds our highways, bridges, transit, rail, airports, ports and harbors by investing nearly $500 billion to improve safety, reduce gridlock and put the U.S. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector, all while protecting American jobs with strong Buy America provisions and labor protections.
- Invests in our children’s futures by helping safely reopen and rebuild schools with a $130 billion investment in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools that do not meet health and safety standards, while also creating 2 million jobs. Democrats are also investing billions in upgrading child care facilities to ensure compliance with current and future public health directives.
- Modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid, promote new renewable energy infrastructure and strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network and support energy efficiency and climate resilience.
- Invests boldly in affordable housing by directing over $100 billion to reduce housing inequality, create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve living conditions and increase environmental sustainability and climate resilience.
- Expands affordable high-speed Internet to underserved communities with a $100 billion investment that promotes competition, connects children to remote learning, closes broadband adoption and digital skills gaps and improves affordability.
- Upgrades hospitals and health care infrastructure by investing $30 billion to increase capacity and strengthen care, help community health centers respond to COVID-19 and future public health emergencies, improve clinical laboratory infrastructure, support the Indian Health Service‘s infrastructure and increase capacity for community-based care.
- Ensures all communities have clean water by investing tens of billions to remove dangerous contaminants from our drinking water and invests in new, safe wastewater infrastructure.
- Delivers a 21st Century Postal Service by modernizing infrastructure and pursuing a zero-emissions postal fleet.
- Promotes investments in our communities by spurring private investment through the tax code, through a revitalized Build America Bonds program, expansions of Private Activity Bonds and significant enhancements to the New Markets Tax Credit and the Rehabilitation Tax Credit.