Dear Teachers, Administrators & Students,
U.S. Representative Sean Casten is pleased to announce this year’s Congressional Art Competition, an annual event that allows high school students from the 6th Congressional District of Illinois, as well as other students from across the country, to showcase their artistic abilities.
The 6th District has an abundance of talented young artists who deserve this opportunity to showcase their creativity. We are currently accepting art pieces in our District Office in West Chicago for this year’s competition, and we encourage students to submit any piece they have created over the last year.
Before submitting your artwork, please confirm that your student is delivering their piece to the correct congressional office. To find out if the student resides within the 6th Congressional District please visit http://www.house.gov/htbin/findrep.
Please note that our office does not require the submission pieces to be framed; however it will be hung at an art gallery and we may need to use an adhesive for hanging. It is best to protect your submission by mounting it on a mat.
Attached please find the required forms and entry guidelines. You may find additional information at https://www.house.gov/educators-and-students/congressional-art-competition, the complete 2019 Rules and Regulations for Students and Teachers at https://www.house.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/2019-Rules-for-Students-and-Teachers.pdf, and the Student Information & Release Form at https://www.house.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/2019-Student-Release-Form-Fillable.pdf
- Artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep, (including the frame).
- All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
- No framed piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
- Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
The artwork may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
- April 30, 2019: Due date for submission of all 2018 Congressional Art Competition entries to Congressman Casten’s District Office at 2700 International Drive, Suite 306, West Chicago, IL 60185
- May 6, 2019: Congressional Art Competition Awards Ceremony, The Community House, 415 W. Eighth Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 (5-9PM, Program at 7PM.
The student who is awarded the first prize will receive two round-trip airline tickets to Washington, DC. and have the opportunity to attend an award ceremony for an exclusive unveiling of their artwork joined by other first prize entries from other Congressional Districts. The winning entry will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for a year. The 2nd, 3rd and People Choice award-winning pieces will be displayed in Congressman Casten’s Washington DC and District offices.
If you have any question please do not hesitate to contact me at (202) 520-9450, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your art work!