Dear Teachers, Administrators & Students,
U.S. Representative Sean Casten is pleased to announce this year’s Congressional Art Competition, an annual event that allows high school students from the 6th Congressional District of Illinois, as well as other students from across the country, to showcase their artistic abilities.
The 6th District has an abundance of talented young artists who deserve this opportunity to showcase their creativity. We are currently accepting art pieces in our district office in Glen Ellyn for this year’s competition, and we encourage students to submit any piece they have created over the last year.
Before submitting your artwork, please confirm that your student is delivering their piece to the correct congressional office. To find out if the student resides within the 6th Congressional District please visit http://www.house.gov/htbin/findrep.
Please note that our office does not require the submission pieces to be framed; however it will be hung at an art gallery and we may need to use an adhesive for hanging. It is best to protect your submission by mounting it on a mat.
You may find the complete 2020 Rules for Students and Teachers, the 2020 Student Release Form, and additional information at https://www.house.gov/educators-and-students/congressional-art-competition.
- Artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep, (including the frame).
- All entries must be original in concept, design and execution.
- No framed piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
- Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
The artwork may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
- April 8, 2020: Due date for submission of all 2020 Congressional Art Competition entries to Congressman Casten’s District Office at 800 Roosevelt Road, Building C, Suite 210, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137.
- April 23, 2020: Congressional Art Competition Awards Ceremony, The Community House, 415 W. Eighth Street, Hinsdale, IL 60521 (6-9PM, Program at 7PM.)
The student who is awarded the first prize will receive two round-trip airline tickets to Washington, DC and have the opportunity to attend an award ceremony for an exclusive unveiling of their artwork joined by other first prize entries from other Congressional Districts. The winning entry will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for a year. The 2nd and 3rd place award-winning pieces will be displayed in Congressman Casten’s Washington DC and district offices.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the district office at (630) 520-9450, or Constituent.ServicesIL06@mail.house.gov.
We look forward to receiving your artwork!