Casten Leads IL Delegation Inviting National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy on Midwest Climate Innovation Tour
WASHINGTON, DC – U.S Congressman Sean Casten (IL-06) led the Illinois Congressional Delegation to invite National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy for a tour of Midwestern climate innovation. As the Biden administration highlights the economic and environmental imperative to prioritize climate in the American Jobs Plan, the delegation is inviting McCarthy to tour Illinois to provide her with an opportunity to learn more about the Midwestern powerhouse for climate innovation, entrepreneurship, and advocacy—from cutting-edge research at the national labs to local companies leading the charge to supply Americans with cleaner, cheaper energy.
In the letter, members of the delegation said, “Given Gina McCarthy’s history as a trailblazer electrifying the transportation and power sectors and her current leadership driving the transition to clean energy across every sector and government agency, our tour would be a perfect opportunity to make clear that climate and clean energy are every bit as important to America’s heartland as to the coasts, especially when it comes to job creation, public health, and economic opportunity.”
As part of this collective effort to spotlight Illinois’ role in building our clean energy economy , the delegation suggested the following tour stops:
- Fermilab — America's particle physics and accelerator laboratory
- Argonne National Lab — science and engineering research center
- Invenergy — global developer and operator of sustainable energy solutions
- Flender Manufacturing — local manufacturer of wind turbine systems
- Environmental Law and Policy Center — the Midwest's leading environmental legal advocacy organization
- LanzaTech — A cleantech startup working to recycle carbon pollution, and received a $4.1 M DOE grant
Today’s letter was signed by Senators Durbin and Duckworth as well as U.S. Representatives Jan Schakowsky (IL-09), Danny K. Davis (IL-07), Marie Newman (IL-03), Lauren Underwood (IL-14), Cheri Bustos (IL-17), Mike Quigley (IL-05), Brad Schneider (IL-10), Bill Foster (IL-11), Bobby Rush (IL-01), Jesus “Chuy” García (IL-04), Robin Kelly (IL-02), and Raja Krishnamoorthi (IL-08).
A full copy of the letter can be found here.
# # #